Well it's over! I have been pushed to the max physically and emotionally in the past 3-4 months. My students successfully presented their first ever musical drama and I am very proud of them. They did the show, "Quest" by John Dunn. It was perfect for their first show. I will say the students performed well though I totally understand why directors say children and animals are the hardest to work with. There were days I wanted to pull my hair out after rehearsal, thankfully I didn't:) In all honesty I'm not even sure what I'm feeling right now. I'm just tired. I am glad that God gave me the strength and patience to direct the show and I learned so much about not relying on my own strength. There is no way I would have been able to make this show happen without God teaching me to trust Him. Despite my sometimes aloofness and evident stress, I made it through.
I think this show really helped me build rapport with the kids. There were many days I took kids home after rehearsal and just had that little bit of extra chat time. It was good to get to know some of my students a bit better and I think they enjoyed getting to know me as well. I really enjoyed building positive relationships with the kids.
Things I learned through this process...
1. To operate in a "make it happen" mindset. It doesn't matter if I don't know how to do a task, I have to sort it out and make it happen.
2. To delegate jobs but still check in with those doing particular tasks.
3. To trust that the kids will pull it together.
4. To rely on God's strength.
5. To be flexible with what's happening every day.
6. The human body can be pushed further than you might think.
7. The mind is a powerful tool when empowered by the Holy Spirit.
8. Encouragement equals results.
9. I teach to be obedient to God's leading in my life right now.
10. Kids will be Kids.
Theses lessons are in no particular order, but they are a reflection of how taking on the challenge of directing a production has shaped the way I think and operate right now. I may have to learn some of these lessons again and again, but I trust that God is teaching me for His glory.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment