The adventure seeker in me just couldn't resist the opportunity to see some of New Zealand's most breath-taking views along the Tongariro Crossing. This trek is in the Tongariro National Reserve and it is quite an experience. The trek itself is about 7-8 hours and there are many side treks you can take along the way. We were supposed to do the entire trek in a day and it would have been just fine had we not climbed Mt. Ngauruhoe..or Mt. Doom(from the Lord of the Rings). However, one of our leaders thought we would/should have no trouble climbing this mountain (see photo above) and get off the trek in time. However, it did not turn out that way and thus begins the adventure...
We started out on a beautiful, crisp Monday morning. It was absolutely great. We were bundled up and ready to go. In the above picture you can even see Mt. Eggmont ever so faintly in the background. It was really the perfect weather for our hike and we all knew it. We got off to a good start.
A couple hours into the trip we were at the base of Mt. Ngauruhoe. One of our leaders had climbed this mountain many times (though a number of years ago) and really wanted us to climb it as well. In all honesty, I should have said,"no." I knew we had a long way to go and I knew he was being a bit optimistic with his time estimation for the mountain, that being 1-2 hrs, but I didn't have the heart to say no and disappoint him. So we did it. It was the hardest thing I think I've ever done. We climbed 600 metres (free climb) up the summit of this Mountain and then had to practically ski down on rock, with no skis or snow.
I conquered the mountain and made it back down alive and to be honest, I am quite proud of myself. But by this point we were only 1/3 of the way through the crossing! We had a long way to go to finish and before dark. We knew that we needed at least one person to make it out on time so that the bus company would not send the rescue out to find us. We sent Matthew on ahead, he did just that, he got out and went to town to get the car to come back and get the rest of us. At this point I was still optimistic about getting off the trek on Monday night. I went on ahead with Louise and we kept a steady pace to the hut where we were to wait for for Peter, Allen , and Sasha.
The sunset Monday night before Loise and I reached the hut.
We arrived at the hut just after dark, we made the decision that it was not going to be safe to continue 2.5 more hours in the dark, through the bush. So we talked with the park ranger and got permission to stay the night at the hut without a problem.
Peter, Allen and Sasha agreed that we should not continue and we were able to get a hold of Matthew via weak cell phone coverage and let him know the situation and so he could let our friends and family, who were now expecting us home, that we were ok, but coming home the next day.
Tuesday morning we woke up and got an early start to get off the Crossing, however, because I really didn't sleep and Mt. Doom had killed my already twisted right knee, and "sleeping" in unmovable positions after a 12 hour hike...my muscles were shot! I felt like the tin man! In fact my right knee was so bad that about 40 minutes into day 2, I could hardly walk! It was by God's strength that I made it out. I am very thankful for for Peter's quiet strength and encouragement that helped me continue and for Louise helping me to laugh at the beginning of the day to get me going. I'm also thankful that Allen let me use his trekking pole (looks like a ski pole) to finish up the hike. I guess the most frustrating thing about this for me was I am not used to going as slow as I had to on Tuesday. Had I not twisted my knee, I would have been fine but I guess I needed to be humbled, and the knee is what did it. I think that is what made this trip so difficult for me.
Anyway despite the difficult circumstances, I had many highlights along the way...
First, actually reaching the top of Mt. Ngauruhoe
Second, getting to know my dear friend Louise even better.
Third, seeing the beautiful Emerald Lakes surrounded by clouds/mist.
Fourth, the generosity we experienced from a family staying at the hut, who had extra hot food for us on Monday night.
and Fifth, God watching over us in every circumstance through the entire trip. I learnt that you don't really know how strong you are and what your body is capable of doing until it is pushed to the max and truly in need of God's physical strength to keep going.
I have many more stories and pictures from this trip that wont fit here, so if you want to see or hear more about it, then just drop me an e-mail or comment and I will send on more details. Trust me, these photos don't do justice to the beauty of of God's creation that we saw, it was absolutely Magnificent.

No comments:
Post a Comment