Friday, February 22, 2008

Universal Gospel

Today I was sitting in Boarders reading children's books. I like to sit, read, and relax every now and then. Today I had just met with my mentor and dear friend Julia and decided to take some time to read for a bit as well. I read one of my favorites that I haven't read in a long time, "The Giving Tree" by Shel Siverstein. I enjoy being reminded of the selfless love of the tree. The tree wants nothing more than the happiness of the boy. She gives everything she possibly can so that he can be successful and have a "good' life. In the end, the boy comes back and just sits with the tree. The tree is finally happy herself because she is with the boy.

I am reminded of my relationship with my Lord and Savior. He left His home in glory to come live among us, so that one day we could be reunited with Him in that glory. But in the meantime, so often I ask for blessing, and happiness, and a "good" life. Christ is not so much focused on my happiness, like the tree for the boy, but enjoys blessing me to bring glory back to His Father in heaven. Because of this undeserved love and grace beyond measure, I am allowed to live in communion with the Lord here, but even more, I will be allowed to live in His presence and just sit with Him in heaven. The joy that fills my heart just thinking about that day cannot even compare to the Joy of the Lord when all His children are restored unto Him and with Him in glory.

Next, I read, "Glass Slipper Gold Sandal" by Paul Fleischman and Julie Paschkis. This is the Cinderella story told through the different cultures of the world. It takes the story through Iraq, Indonesia, Japan, India, Zimbabwe, Scandinavia and more. The pictures change from page to page to depict the culture at each point in story. This is probably one of the coolest books I've ever seen! I sat there in Boarders reading this Cinderella story with a huge grin on my face...the whole time I was taking in the cultural diversity of the story and the beauty of it, I was thinking about How the Gospel is even more cross cultural than a simple fairy tale. The Gospel of our Lord is Universal! Not just Jewish, Hebrew, Greek, or even English (as I know it). The Gospel transcends every culture. Praise the Lord! I could probably go on and on but I don't think I really need to. I'm just thankful that I serve a Lord that came to bring reconciliation and salvation for all who recognize and have faith in Him.

No comments: