Saturday, July 28, 2007

Rangitoto Island



I woke up this morning to a very relaxed schedule, I decided that I really wanted to go to Rangitoto Island,(youngest volcano in Auckland). I've been here three months and still hadn't gotten there, nor had I driven in the city during the day...so today was a day of firsts.

I started out by figuring out a plan of action, how to get to the ferry, what time it left/came back, how much it was going to cost...details. Then I started out for the city. Ha, let say it's a good thing God is always watching over me. The city is full of random one-way streets, I had to be so so careful(I was). Then to find a car park near the ferry depot:) Ok, so I decided that next time I go, I will most likely take the bus or a train. But I survived.

Next, I almost missed the ferry because of having trouble with the car park situation but praise the Lord, the ferry runs a little late and I just made it. Keep in mind, I gave myself plenty of time to make it there, traffic is just crazy, and I didn't know exactly where I was going.

The climb was absolutely wonderful. The landscape was georgous, the weather was perfect and the climb was just the right length and difficulty for a random day trip. As I was climbing up, I kept thinking, "I can't believe I live here!" This was the best thing I could have done today. There is so much more to see there too, I only climbed the summit. Needless to say I will be going back a few more times, I think I'd like to go with some friends next time. Today was a good day to go by myself though. I needed a day away to think and just be me, so it was so good.






There are lava rocks all over the island along with the beautiful bush and Pohutukawa forest. The Pohutukawa tree is called the New Zealand Christmas tree because it blooms red flowers right around Christmas time. The lava looks like rivers of rock all the way down to the sea.







I hope I picked the best pictures to give you a taste of what it was like. It was too beautiful to put into words really and the pictures don't do justice to the actual senery. God's creation always leaves me speechless.

No comments: